Charles Adolphe Baldwin was born in 1861 in San Francisco, California. He graduated from Harvard in 1882. He was an art collector, collecting etchings, paintings, enamels and bronzes. He belonged to the Knickerbocker Club; Groiler Club; Society of the Cincinnati; Sons of the American Revolution and was a member of the Christian Science church. Charles died of a stroke at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs in 1934. Charles’ father was Admiral Charles Henry Baldwin (1822-1888), a Mexican and Civil War Veteran, and his mother was Pamelia Tolfree.
Virginia Baldwin was the daughter of Walter Scott Hobart, a mining millionaire from San Francisco, California. She married Charles Baldwin in 1896 and they had a son named Charles H. Baldwin (1897-1943), who became an architect in San Francisco. After Charles death, Virginia married Prince Zourab Tchkotoua of the Russian state of Georgia.
Charles and Virginia Baldwin constructed the Claremont, a mansion in Colorado Springs, in 1907, seven years after their initial move to Colorado Springs. The construction was influenced by Louis XIV’s Grand Trianon at Versailles and is sometimes referred to as the Trianon in Colorado Springs. The architect, Thomas MacLaren, traveled abroad to study the original before constructing the residence. Mrs. Baldwin sold the mansion to Blevins Davis from Independence, Missouri. Mr. Davis then sold the Trianon to the Sisters of St. Francis Seraph, who later sold it to the Trianon Foundation in 1960. Eventually the building became the Colorado Springs School.